FAQ for Aid and Attendance Benefit

Q:  Do I need to be completely disabled to get the benefit?

A:  No, it is only necessary that the Veteran is so helpless as to need regular aid and attendance, not that there be a constant need.

Q:  Can I get the benefit if I live at home?

A:  Yes, absolutely, but medical expenses must be provided and proven.  Services can be provided by the family. It is a reimbursement benefit.

Q: What if I already receive money from the VA?

A: You may be entitled to an additional Aid and Attendance allowance but it will depend upon what type of benefits you are receiving from the VA.

Q:  If my income exceeds my expenses, can I get the benefit?

A:  Depending on the excess, you may be entitled to a partial benefit.

Q:  What if I cannot locate the discharge papers?

A:  You can request military records from www.archives.gov. This is a free service from the National Archives and Records Administration. It will take approximately 10-14 days.

Q:  What if I do not have the most recent Social Security Award Letter?

A:  You can go to www.ssav.gov/signin and create an account for yourself to request one.  If you can’t or don’t want to use an online account, or you need a letter for someone other than yourself, you can call 1-800-772-1213,

Q:  My mom cannot locate their marriage certificate or my father’s death certificate?

A:  You can visit the Department of Vital Statistics in the county where the marriage or death occurred or go to www.vitalrec.com.

Q:  Do prescriptions and deductibles count as unreimbursed medical expenses?

A:  No, in order for expenses to counted, they must be fixed. Prescriptions and deductibles are not fixed but may be reimbursable at the end of the year.

Q:  How quickly will I receive a check?

A:  The VA takes approximately 2-3 months to make the decision. However, the VA does pay retroactively from the date of application. An application must be turned in by the third week of the prior month for which the Veteran and/or Surviving Spouse is applying. For example, if you are applying for September benefits the application must be turned in no later than the third week of August and the VA will start the payment date as of September 1st. A check should be mailed 10-15 days after the award letter is received.

Q:  What is an un-reimbursed medical expense?

A:  Recurring out-of-pocket expenses that are related to the care of the Veteran or Surviving Spouse. Examples: cost of assisted living, cost of in-home care, and cost of nursing home care. Long term care premiums, Medicare supplements and Diabetic supplies.

Q: What is the maximum amount of liquid assets allowed?

A: There is no absolute amount. It depends on Life Expectancy and how rapidly assets are being used. The VA will apply their Life Expectancy Table for Net Worth Determination to see if the applicant has too many liquid assets.  Veterans Consultants can assist you in determining what assets are in excess.

Q: Did the Surviving Spouse need to be married to the Veteran at the time of the Veteran’s death?

A: Yes, if the spouse divorced the veteran she/he would not be eligible for the pension.

Q: What if the Surviving Spouse remarries?

A: If the Surviving Spouse remarries after the death of the Veteran, he/she is not qualified unless the second spouse is also a Veteran and she/he was married to the second Veteran for at least one year before the Veteran’s death.

Q: I am the Power Of Attorney for the Veteran/Surviving Spouse can I sign the application?

A: The VA does not recognize POA’s in this process. The only other person that can sign an application for the applicant is a court appointed Conservator.

Q: What if the Veteran or Surviving Spouse can not sign the application?

A: If the Veteran or the Surviving Spouse cannot sign the application, a poor signature will be accepted or the applicant must make an “X” and have it witnessed by two people with their addresses.

Don't wait any longer to receive the benefits you deserve!  

Contact us to see if you qualify today.

Veterans Consultants, Inc is not a department of any state or federal agency and is no way associated with the VA.  Our service is to provide you with an assessment of your qualifications for benefits based on the criteria set by the VA.